top of page

WSIB Assistance

Workers’ Compensation Introduction

Local 27 offers assistance to members in the following areas:


  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (workers’ compensation) claims and appeals


  • Employment Insurance claims


  • Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits applications


There is no charge for our services as long as you remain a union member in good standing. This means that you must continue to pay your union dues. If you are suspended, we may not be able to continue to represent you. If you fall into arrears or you are suspended, please contact our office immediately so we can discuss what options are available to you.

Examples of Services Offered
  • Representation of members in claims with the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB). This may include:

–       negotiations with Eligibility Adjudicators or Case Managers

–       involvement in return-to-work mediations

–       assistance with investigations

–       involvement with ergonomic assessments

–       assistance in gathering tax records.


  • If necessary, representation in appeals at the WSIB or the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT).

  • Assistance in applying for Employment Insurance Benefits.

  • Assistance in applying for Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits.

Who We Are

Michael Farago is a lawyer with eight years of experience working at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT).  This is the independent government agency that hears appeals from the WSIB.  Michael represents union members in their appeals of workers’ compensation decisions, as well as some decisions related to Canada Pension Plan Disability payments.


Sally Chiappetta-Scapin is a licensed paralegal who represents members in appeals at the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT).


Nancy Amico, WSIB In-take, Ext. 606 – is a licensed paralegal who responds to members’ questions and concerns regarding their WSIB claims.  She assists in the preliminary stages of the claims process and answers benefit-related questions that members may have regarding the WSIB claims process.

What to Do if You Get Hurt

If you are injured at work, or if you develop an illness or condition that you think was caused by work, it is important to do the following:

  • Report the injury or condition to your employer right away. The employer is supposed to complete a “Report of Injury”, also called a “Form 7” which is sent to the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board. You should also receive a copy of this form.

  • Go see a doctor. Make sure that the doctor completes a report of injury, called a “Form 8”.

  • Nancy Amico at the union office to let her know about the accident or condition. If you would like us to represent you in dealing with the WSIB, you will need to sign an authorization form.

  • Complete the “Worker’s Report of Injury”, also called a “Form 6”. Our office can help you to fill out this form. Copies of this form should be sent to the WSIB and your employer.

Returning To Work
  • After an injury, the WSIB requires workers to maintain contact with their employer to discuss whether they are able to return to work and what sort of work they may be able to do.  Employers are required to offer modified work to injured employees, if such work is available.  For example, an injured worker may be given a light job helping out others on a job site.

  • In order to determine what you can and cannot do because of the work-related injury, you should get a Functional Abilities Form completed by your doctor. Copies of this form should be sent to your employer and the WSIB.  The form will help your employer find modified work for you that is within your medical restrictions.

Important Information – Filing Taxes on Time

Don’t forget to make sure that your taxes are filed on time. The WSIB uses prior years’ tax information to calculate benefit payments.  This applies to pieceworkers as soon as they establish a claim and it applies to hourly workers after the first 12 weeks of benefits are paid.

Contact Us

Contact the Carpenters’ District Council at (905) 652-4140 or toll-free at 1-888-803-5008

bottom of page